In its pursuit to promote the Arabic language and consolidate its position both regionally and globally, and drawing from its strategy focused on supporting creativity, authorship, and scientific research across various Arabic language arts and disciplines, the Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre (ALC) announces the opening of applications for the 2024 Research Grants Program, in accordance with the terms and conditions outlined here.
Researchers interested in applying for this year’s grant are requested to complete the grant application form and send it, along with their resume, to the grant program’s email (Grant@dctabudhabi.ae) no later than February 29, 2024.
Conditions for Applying to Research Grants:
- The research must be in Arabic only.
- The research must comprise no less than 50,000 words.
- The research must be methodical, with a novelty aspect, while adhering to academic standards.
- The research must align with the strategy and objectives of the ALC.
- The research must not be published or submitted to any other entity.
- The researcher must provide an initial plan by completing the grant application form.
- If shortlisted, the researcher must submit a detailed plan along with sources and references.
- After three months, the researcher must submit a detailed report of their progress in the research project.
- The researcher must submit the complete research three months after the submission of the first detailed report.
- Two or more researchers may participate in applying together for a grant, and if awarded, the grant will be divided equally.
- The concerned department determines the period required for delivering the research in its final form.
Research Grants Application Mechanism:
- The researcher fills out the research grant application form.
- The researcher sends the application form along with their resume to the email address: Grant@dctabudhabi.ae, no later than February 29, 2024.
- All applying researchers receive a notification acknowledging the receipt of their applications.
- Only shortlisted researchers receive a notification of their nomination, requesting more details about their projects.
- Shortlisted researchers provide an expanded outline of their research, detailing their topic, objectives, methodology, and novelty elements, along with a list of their most prominent sources and references.
- The final list of accepted researchers is announced in March 2024.
- The researchers submit a detailed report of their progress in the research project after three months of commission, and the complete research is submitted after six months.
- Research projects are presented to a jury, and researchers must address all jury remarks. The grant is canceled if the jury rejects the research.
Copyrights of Research:
The ALC holds all the paper and electronic copyrights for the grant-winning research projects, whether the research is theoretical or applied, for an open and indefinite duration.
Research Grant Categories:
- Arabic lexicon.
- Literature and criticism.
- Teaching Arabic to non-Arabic speakers.
- Applied and computational linguistics.
- Editing of Manuscripts in all fields of Arabic language.
Research Proposal Evaluation Criteria:
- Research’s merit and intellectual modernity.
- Expected impact of the research proposal outputs.
- Research proposal's relevance to the ALC's strategy.
- Qualifications and research career of the primary researcher and each research associate or partner in the research proposal.
- Contribution of the research proposal to the development of the Arabic language.
- ALC reserves the right to request recommendation letters for researchers from host institutions or from prominent figures in the proposed research area.
- ALC signs contracts with the researchers benefiting from the research grants, and such contracts specify the obligations of each party.
- Research grants are awarded upon authorization by the jury. The grant will be divided equally if two or more researchers collaborate on the same research.